Sunday, June 28, 2020

Racism/Policing/Privilege

A Personal Story About Prejudice and Privilege

By: A Working for Justice Ministry Member 

I believe we need to realize that we are all prejudiced; white, black, and brown peoples; all.This I believe, is a natural  developmental ability to quickly determine friend or foe, good or bad; so as to quickly react without the thinking processes of our brains decision making process.We need to first see this in ourselves, before we complain too loudly about others.Of course the difference in our country, is the "white privilege" advantage. 

My personal story began with growing up in Mt. Nebo/Ohio Twp.,where I saw virtually no people of color. Not until first grade( no kindergarten), did I meet my first black classmate. With my first touch of a black hand, I wondered if my hand would be "dirtied"! Throughout my youth, I was heavily involved in our all white church, and I thought I was developing into a non biased individual.One stand out memory; the time when a black woman sat in the balcony and I heard comments: " what's she doing here" & of course no one asked.

In my senior year of high school, I attended a church retreat with a black speaker. While I don't remember the particulars, I do remember my initial anger, that I was being told that I was racist.I learned this was true, by his explanation of my " white privilege".

Throughout my 40 years at work in the North Boroughs, I continued my white isolation.  Basically, no business in that area was black owned, or even had black employees, the only exception being a black trash collector, who lived in an out of the way "hollow". It never dawned on me, that white privilege is having those work opportunities.Where I chose to live,I see virtually no black faces, again white privilege to live in a pleasant, safe environment of my choosing.
But until recently, I never understood all the ramifications of white privilege. As example, I had been blaming blacks for the high crime rate, lack of educational achievement, as well as their general lack of advancement."Pull yourselves up by your bootstraps"!

Now I am learning that ending my racism, is not a destination, but a journey. I'm hopefully going forward, & I have started at Jeanne's suggestion,the book  Me & White Supremacy.


My thoughts on police reform:

1.  Selection & training
As we know police work, especially in a city environment, is a stressful occupation.Naturally any situation, from a routine traffic stop, up to physical confrontation with a criminal will lead to heightened stress.In many of these situations the officer does not have the time to reflect, but must act on impulse.This is why the hiring of only psychologically fit people as well as proper training is vital. 

2.  Pay
Obviously, if we want good police, the pay must be adequate to entice the best.However a solution must be found for economically distressed areas, where the money is simply not available.

3.  Proper use of police
Part of the problem, is the typical use of police in a " one size fits all", solution for every situation.The answer is not always a man with a gun.

4.  Messaging to bring both the police & public onboard
A priority of police reform is to bring the general public & the police themselves, to see that reform is in everyone's best interest.In this light, I think using the term "de-funding" is a tactical mistake & we are better served, by using something more akin to calling it, reforming police departments.We need a clear message, that good & honest police are both respected & cherished for their duty protecting us.This will help bring more police onboard for reform, as well as counter the racist narrative, that we are anti police.

5.   Communication
Good communication between citizens and police is vital.Everyone feels more empowered when their position on issues is listened to and respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Watch a video recordings of St. Paul's "Is Human Trafficking Happing in My Community" zoom event.  The video Chosen, a teen&...